Thursday, February 7, 2013

Oh keep my eyes to serve, my hands to learn

Last night I saw Mumford and Sons prove that they are worthy of all of the hype behind them. Aside from sounding incredible live; those boys just know how to put on a show. I was kind of skeptical about how I would feel seeing Mumford at a large venue such as the Barclays center, but it truly was amazing. They created a stage that seemed so intimate and personal; I kind of forgot I was seeing them from section 211. Another plus was whoever their set designer is, is f'ing amazing. I've never before seen lights incorporated in such a way that elevated the music and the feel of the music- it was truly spectacular. I'm sure if you searched on instagram- you could find endless tags and pictures of this light show---which brings me to: 
Cherie's Concert Pet Peeves
There are unspoken rules about how to behave at concerts, and it's time to say them aloud.
  • Don't be a dick- if the band says they are about to perform a special song and you need to be quiet to hear, don't yell "turn your mic on", or "brookkklyn" every quiet time. You're just letting us all know how much you suck while creating imaginations in my head about ways to punch you in the face.
  • GET.OFF.YOUR.CELL.PHONE- take some pictures of the stage, record a couple of songs, take a pic of you and your friend sitting in dark seats, whatever- just don't do it the whole show! What's the point of staying on instagram to show people how awesome it is that you're at an awesome show, while you're sitting there oblivious to just how awesome it is! 
  • Shut up! Talking during the opening act is something that irritates me, but I let it go because people paid to see the main artist, so there is a chance they don't care or even like the opening act. Fine. But when the main artist comes on--the person you paid $50+ to see--it's time to put a lid on it. Don't continue your conversation about taxes or how "becky said this" or how you want new shoes--listen to the music and enjoy the show.

The obnoxious crowd at the Barclays last night was kind of a downer for me, but they weren't able to ruin my happiness completely. I can, at times, be a pretentious music snob; which makes me slightly embarrassed when I tell people my favorite category of music. "Guys with Guitars". It's so 16 year old teenybopper "omg I love them because they are cute" sounding, (which they are), but I have other criteria for that category.  To be in my "guys with guitars" category, you have to make music with meaning and substance. Your lyrics have to resonate with me and evoke an emotion- be it empathy, sympathy, anger, compassion, appreciation or just plain happiness. You need to be a damn good musician, leaving me in awe of your talent and tranced by just watching you play. Based on this, Mumford and Sons are at the top of my favorite guys with guitars bands, (right below John Mayer, and no I will not apologize for that).

During the show, my friend Sara leaned over to me and said "these guys are their biggest fans" because you could see how much fun they were having playing their own music! They felt it- from the cello player to Marcus Mumford rocking the shit out of his guitars and drums. Seeing them live was even better than blasting their album in my headphones ,because I was physically able to feel the music so much more. The drums and my heart beat were synched, the bass forced my head to move with every note--their music had meaning and I was truly feeling it last night. Add to that to some of the most beautiful lyrics I've ever heard, like those from "Lover of the Light"

And in the middle of the night
I may watch you go
There'll be no value in the strength
Of walls that I have grown
There'll be no comfort in the shade
Of the shadows thrown
You may not trust the promises
Of the change I'll show
But I'd be yours if you'd be mine

It's just hard not to feel in that environment. I have a habit of being at concerts and getting so in the zone that I forget I'm around people, and that it's not just me and the band in the room--and let me tell you, that zone was a fucking awesome place to be last night. Mumford and Sons will also be performing at the grammys on Sunday, but if you ever get the chance to see them live- I HIGHLY recommend you jump at it. Oh- and the lyric from this post comes from "Below My Feet". Another gem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Links of the day:
I've been slacking at sharing my favorite stories of the day. Mostly because I've been studying during the day which puts a damper on my "search the internet for awesome news time". So today, I'll just refer back to an old theme--showing you all how awesome and talented my friend Jess is. 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment