Sunday, February 3, 2013

Oh.My.Beyonce

2 hours later and I think I just calmed down from Queen B slaying it at the superbowl. More on that later.

FUN. I saw them in concert at Radio City Music Hall on Saturday and it was, surprisingly, one of the best shows I've ever been to.

 I would say I've averaged at least 5 concerts a year, since the age of 13. Live music for me just equates to happiness. In high school, my love of concerts had everything to do with my relationship with my friends. In typical small town fashion, we spent many nights just driving around blasting our favorite songs, while singing along and talking about everything and nothing at the same time. We have a lot of "soundtracks", my friends and I. Music and our equal love of it bonded us together and at times, even defined us. It made songs, for me, more than songs; they became instant memories. So of course, we made a lot effort finding when our favorite bands were playing and making sure we were at that concert! Almost all of my fondest memories involve jumping and singing along to every song on an album, and just being infinitely happy to be singing along with the people I love.

 One of "our" bands at the time was Maroon 5. I did/still can listen to every song on the "Songs about Jane" album and smile. I can't recall the name of the venue, but I saw them back in 03' in a medium sized/low budget, standing room only show; and the tickets were maybe $30. I remember so clearly watching Maroon 5 and being captivated by their songs, while singing along with my (soon to be) best friend, Jess. But what made this concert unlike a lot of the others we had gone to was the feeling given off by the band. You could genuinely tell how excited they were to be on stage. It was clear that playing those songs, in that venue, with people cheering for them was a big thing for them--and that energy made me even more excited that Jess and I got to be a part of that. While I've been to many concerts since then, that feeling of being a part of something big did not return until the past Saturday.

In a year, Fun. went from being a fairly unknown band, to playing sold out shows and having 6 grammy nominations. The lead singer constantly jumped up and down and looked like he was pinching himself numerous times during the show. I can't blame him though- imagine looking out at this
and seeing every single seat filled with every person jumping up and down singing a song you wrote back at you.  While some of my favorite bands, Dave Matthews, Jay-Z, Lady Gaga-- all put on amazing shows; it often feels like a "one of many" show.  But this Saturday, it was clear that all of the members in Fun. were having an "oh my fucking god" moment every five seconds; and that energy and excitement made my friend Jackie and I dance even harder and sing even louder with them.

Aside from the atmosphere of the concert, the music was incredible! Their albums are ones I can play on repeat and never get sick of it. Admittedly it is a bit poppy, but it's sad while uplifting and real. Jackie and I often email each other with a "song of the day", and almost all of Fun's songs have made the cut.  Some nights will always be one of their most amazing songs, but Stars, All Alright and All the Pretty Girls are other favorites of mine. Also, did I mention our seats weren't too shabby... 


They are performing at the Grammys on Sunday, the 10th, and I'm sure this performance will be even bigger and more meaningful for them. I hope we can still feel that through the screen!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still am not ready to talk about Beyonce. I just sat in awe watching her murder it at halftime, and I'm still pretty mesmerized. Even though she made some crazy faces, you could tell that she knew she was killing and how BIG of a deal this was for her. Get it, B! 

 If you, like myself, need more Beyonce to make it through this Beyonce hangover, this is one of my all time favorites: http://youtu.be/oNg9mTiFDq8. I'll throw in this, too: http://youtu.be/wTEGWxxKBVw.

Happy Beyonce day, everybody!


No comments:

Post a Comment