Saturday, January 5, 2013

Why should you watch Happy Endings?


Before I answer that question, it's important to acknowledge my addiction to television.  Ever since I was a wee cherry (heh heh), I scheduled all of my activities based on the tv guide schedule. (My parents, bless their heart, got me a vcr to record shows in the pre-dvr days. They are to thank for my social life). I still did/do love curling up with a great book, chatting with friends--all the "normal" behaviors of a functioning person; I just know how to manage my time. Here is where I'll remind my friends to look at our google calendar and and schedule your weekends accordingly: 


Back to Happy Endings. I've read elsewhere it called "the best show that you are not watching", but the jury is still out on that. However I can vouch for why it is a "great show that should not be overlooked" and even "a show to add to the dvr list".

Premiering in early 2011, this 3 season show has been on the up and up. Having watched all available episodes in a week- I can definitely note when and where they've decided to change direction--a sign that they are aware of the shows potential. The series centers on a group of friends living in Ohio. Among them is a married couple, a gay friend, a single boy-crazy friend, and a couple whose wedding is the first scene of the show...where the bride leaves the groom at the alter. (Did I mention it's a comedy?) Admittedly after the first episode, I wasn't too sold on how the show could progress from a failed wedding. Is this going to be a show about awkward friends? Or a rom-com about will they/won't they get back together? In attempts to remain spoiler free--I'll just say that I am happy I continued on.

What I enjoy about this show is how they've developed these 6 characters individually and cohesively. None of them are without major/borderline iwannaslapyourface annoying flaws; and yet I don't feel badly for rooting for every single one of them. The comedy is who they are, and how they embrace and work with their flaws; making their group dynamic so strong because of what each brings to the group. The quirks of the characters usually lead to them being involved in crazy story lines, which are hysterical and have a purpose in having their character and the story line grow. (Something How I Met Your Mother use to be the KING of. Now....meh). Also, similar to what I found so great about Friends, is that you get a sense that each character genuinely likes and cares for the others. Even though you note the bond between Brad and Max (my favorites) from the beginning, the story line has explained and expanded on the relationship between Brad and Penny, Brad and Alex, Brad and Dave, and so on with all of the others. It feels real and relatable, like I'm actually a fly on the wall into this awesome groups crazy life and adventures.

I am definitely committed to this show. So far season 3 is the best (Season 1 was really good while season 2 was aiight). The show comes back to ABC on January 6th at 10pm and January 8th at 9pm. (Hey Abc, why 2 new episodes of a show in one week? Give us a chance to miss it!) Anyway, you should watch Happy Endings. It's aymuhzing.

Links of the day:
You Won't Stay The Same, Study Finds (This article is so pertinent to many of our recent conversations, I really found it fascinating. Especially the part about how much you now vs future you would be willing to spend to see your favorite bands in concert. At 11 I waited in the cold for hours to see a backstreet boys concert to no avail...at 22 I saw them with New Kids on the Block for $15. SELF FIVE.  Though 11 year old Cherie and 25 year old Cherie would spend her life savings to see Nsync in concert. Suck it science.)

Why I need to go to Philly: http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/travel/36-hours-in-philadelphia.html?src=me&ref=general

An article in which the headline contains "Downton Abby" and "Homeland': http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/hugh-bonneville-on-downton-abbey-season-three-interview.html

I dare you not to cry/J.J Abrams is amazing example 45,669: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-trek-fan-dies-jj-408899

We old/10 points to anyone who knew the artists behind "whoomp! there it is": http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/29-albums-that-are-now-20-years-old (For the record, Counting Crows "August and Everything After" will never not be a great album)

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment