Sunday, January 13, 2013

Wouldn't it be funny if that was true?

The theater is a magical place. On broadway, off broadway, school plays, local shows...I just love sitting in a room and being captivated by people in front of me emoting and taking me into their world. Sometimes its hard to get my head away from all of the "noise" of the real world; but live anything is able to mute life's' worries and leave me entranced, if only for a little while.

This week I saw "Cat on A Hot Tin Roof", an American classic by Tennessee Williams. Going into the play all I really knew was Scarlet Johansson stared. I for the most part, stayed clear of reviews of the play thus far, allowing little expectations to be had before the show. Because (or despite) of this, I  truly enjoyed this play. The production was just spectacular. Broken up into 3 acts, the setting of the play took place in the bedroom of Maggie (Scarlett Johansson) and Brick (the amazing Benjamin Walker) on the day of Brick's father, Big Daddy (Ciaran Hinds) birthday.  I suck at summaries because I often give too many spoilers, so I'll just say the story itself is very captivating and thought provoking. I was invested from scene one, act one; and while I have already decided I love the play itself, the stunning cast brought it to life beautifully.

What stuck with me most from the play were the themes and one quote in particular:  "Mendacity is a system that we live in. Liquor is one way out an death's the other" Tennessee William's. As depressing as that statement is, I view it as the power of perception. Brick is in a situation in which he feels all of the lies he told himself and what he believed over the years has led him to the situation he is in now; constant unhappiness and with no chance to correct some wrongs or even be very truthful to himself.  Contrast that to his wife, Maggie, who spends the entire first act being completely honest to this broken man. Unlike Brick, she has acknowledged truths that others tried to overlook, and instead of submitting to the two given options: liquor and death; she chose to fight. She fights her husband and his self-loathing, she fights her mother-in-law and her blame, and she fights her sister and brother in law and their snobbery and judgement. While there were other important themes of the play, this one stuck with me the most. Certain situations are just awful, but its how one perceives the truth of the matter and deals with it that makes all of the difference.

I wish I could say I was more of "Maggie" in life, but I uncomfortably identify too much with Brick. To tell yourself one thing for such a long time, only to open your eyes one day and see where all those lies have led you to is a bleak and somber pill to swallow. I personally am blessed with having many many Maggies in my life however, who are also endless encouraging fighters. When Maggie tries to tell Brick she loves him and things will be okay, he twice answered "Wouldn't it be funny if that was true?".  Brick...we need a good laugh.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is officially on my "you must see" list, so get tickets soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment